I’d completely forgotten about this piece. I think I may have misunderstood the brief, which says ‘Include Tunisian textured stitches within a square of Tunisian crochet.’ I have done this very literally but maybe it means ‘a square of textured Tunisian’. I don’t mind if I have to do it again as I love the effect of Tunisian and am happy doing it on a small hook but I can’t find a way to do it comfortably on a long hook.
Following on from my hairpin crochet experience I’ve had a little foray into braiding. I tried kumihimo, lucet and now macrame. I liked the results of all three but couldn’t imagine making anything sizeable out of kumihimo (I’m too impatient) despite the wonderful wooden tool (marudai) they use. I like the lucet – it’s simple and very portable – and will probably experiment with it more. But the most versatile, easiest and most creative seems to be macrame. These are my first two attempts for friends’ birthdays this weekend. They were very simple to do and I’m pretty pleased with the results (if not the photos). I want to try more complex braiding with macrame now and it’s on my to do list for when I finish part 1.
I can’t believe this got an ‘Excellent’! I suppose when you’ve made something yourself you’re aware of all the flaws that others don’t notice. Very pleased, anyway. I now just have a few samples and my final project (a bag) to finish. I’m very pleased to have found one or two other bloggers doing the Diploma and encouraged to find that we seem to have similar issues, particularly in relation to filet.
I also meant to note that making this blouse made me very aware of the amount of time that goes into crochet. If I wanted to make any money out of this I would have to charge more than £500 for a garment like this to cover the time!! Something to bear in mind when looking at crocheted items in the shops. Spare a thought for the maker.
This filet blouse is made in no 5 mercerised cotton on a 1.50 mm hook, although I did move to a 1.25 for some of the edging. The gauge was correct for the stitches but a bit long for the rows so I reduced the number of rows. I also crocheted the collar (which I made a bit smaller than the pattern) onto the blouse, rather than sewing it on later. The only sewing was the shoulder seams. The pattern came from this book that I found in a charity shop.
I had been wanting to make it for a while and I love the colour I eventually chose. It was very time consuming to make but good to follow a detailed filet pattern. The recommended filet was 1ch and 1tr to make each space rather than the more usual 2 ch. This worked well.
The finished garment was a bit looser than I would have liked, although it was the size indicated in the pattern. I think this was because the book was published in the eighties and the style was looser-fitting. This also explains the large collar. I made buttons to finish it, incorporating some gold thread to make them sparkly and a bit stiffer. They worked well.
I signed up for a couple of workshops and discovered felting isn’t for me. I had a great chat with a spinner who almost convinced me to take up spinning but I have enough to do at the moment. One to keep in mind for the future.
And I saw Margaret’s yarn Great Yarmouth.
What an inspiration!
There were also some lovely crocheted blankets,
a whole knitted and crocheted room,
and this amazing weaving.
I passed my hairpin! I got ‘Excellent’ for everything, except the pale blue one which was a bit floppy; and one of the joins, which was a bit too tight. I think it’s unlikely I’ll be doing this technique again, but you never know.