Christmas presents

    

Helen’s mobius – this is the one I’m most pleased with. It’s Aran weight pure wool and a 6mm hook. I made a foundation htrc, and went into the stitch on both sides rather than the chain so I avoided the hole down the centre line. I also changed direction after each row, rather than spiralling. I might try staggering the starting point after each colour change for an even smoother join next time. The first row is trc, then a crossed trc for a bit of texture; then 2 htrc into alternate stitches for the coloured section; then back to trc, then dc and crab stitch to finish. I steamed it to neaten. I love it and hope Helen does too.

Ian’s mobius – this was inspired by my red shawl that Ian admired a lot a couple of years ago. I’m very pleased with the result but a bit apprehensive about what Ian will make of it.

  

It’s chunky weight, 8mm hook, with Catherine wheel pattern in the centre and some mix of colours (red, orange, green). I blocked and stretched it but am still worried that it’s a bit short.

Hilary’s necklace

This was a last minute decision. I was inspired by a dress Hilary has, which has stripes which I think are these colours or similar. Hilary is not an ‘out-there’ person but I think she likes a bit of colour. I love it and hope she does too. The navy is 4ply cotton but the other colours are a bamboo mix-a bit softer and shinier. I did an additional row of DC around the central ring and added beads either side.

 

 

 

 

A necklace for me. I made this yesterday as a last minute attempt to xmatise my outfit for Anne’s party. It’s 4-ply black cotton and a 3mm hook. I threaded the beads onto a double strand and made 25 chain before adding beads. There are 2 ch between each bead. I really like it and will wear it over Christmas but I may dismantle it afterwards and reuse the beads.

Advertisements

Galina’s necklace

My first commission!

Galina wanted navy and turquoise so I bought some DK cotton on the market but it’s not as nice as the mercerised cotton I bought online. I also bought some more keyring rings in the Heartsease hardware store. 10p each. And nice jump rings and catches in the bead shop. I used a 2mm hook and put 30 dc into each ring.

Enda’s necklace

I made this necklace for Enda’s 60th birthday. Once again, the picture doesn’t do justice to the colour of the beads (which are turquoise). Three strands of 28 gauge wire, approximately 45 beads, positioned every four chain, with a 4mm hook.

. . . and a couple for me

These are made with DK and 4-ply cotton, double-crocheted onto keyring rings, using a 2mm hook. For the first one I interlocked the rings before starting and worked each ring separately. For the second one I crocheted along one half of each ring, joining them with a beaded chain. Then I crocheted back along the other half, slip stitching into the back of each bead. I need some stronger jump rings and clasps.

The blue/green necklace received great compliments from a couple of colleagues. Very encouraging!

Samples 2 revisited

Everything’s been on hold a bit. I’ve been preoccupied with work (into) and had a collapse on 22 June so samples haven’t been sent off and I have doctor’s tomorrow.

I wasn’t that happy with my samples so am going to take another look at them tomorrow and make a new plan. Ditty’s blanket is coming on well and I’ve made a necklace for Anne’s retirement so that will be the first thing in the project book. I have plans for the ‘Very Hungry Caterpillar’ story sack but that will be a separate posting when it gets underway. There will be a part 2 to this part 2 when I decide exactly what to do.

Part 2

Here’s Anne’s necklace. It’s adapted from Chin (2007: 61).  The original had only one strand but I like it like this.

Doctor’s was uneventful but I have had time for retail therapy and work planning so feeling more in control.

Decided to send off samples minus the chain link, which I’ll do again. Not that happy with the tall stitches as they slant but FB will be useful.