Project 3 feedback


I can’t believe this got an ‘Excellent’! I suppose when you’ve made something yourself you’re aware of all the flaws that others don’t notice. Very pleased, anyway.  I now just have a few samples and my final project (a bag) to finish.  I’m very pleased to have found one or two other bloggers doing the Diploma and encouraged to find that we seem to have similar issues, particularly in relation to filet.

I also meant to note that making this blouse made me very aware of the amount of time that goes into crochet. If I wanted to make any money out of this I would have to charge more than £500 for a garment like this to cover the time!! Something to bear in mind when looking at crocheted items in the shops. Spare a thought for the maker.


Project 3 Vintage blouse


This filet blouse is made in no 5 mercerised cotton on a 1.50 mm hook, although I did move to a 1.25 for some of the edging. The gauge was correct for the stitches but a bit long for the rows so I reduced the number of rows. I also crocheted the collar (which I made a bit smaller than the pattern) onto the blouse, rather than sewing it on later. The only sewing was the shoulder seams.  The pattern came from this book that I found in a charity shop.20190304_153619

I had been wanting to make it for a while and I love the colour I eventually chose. It was very time consuming to make but good to follow a detailed filet pattern.  The recommended filet was 1ch and 1tr to make each space rather than the more usual 2 ch.  This worked well.

The finished garment was a bit looser than I would have liked, although it was the size indicated in the pattern. I think this was because the book was published in the eighties and the style was looser-fitting.  This also explains the large collar. I made buttons to finish it, incorporating some gold thread to make them sparkly and a bit stiffer.  They worked well.